- Most inmates are male, as females make up only 6% of the inmate population.
- 19% of male inmates and 32% of female inmates are Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, compared with 2% of the general community in NSW.
- 50% of males and 30% of females warrant mental health referral for major depression.
- 40% males and 64% of females are hepatitis C positive.
- 50% of males and 75% of females were unemployed in the six months prior to incarceration.
- 50% have not achieved School Certificate level of education.
- The average age of inmates is 33 years for males and 31 years for females.
Source: Justice Health - 2001 Inmate Health Survey. See: justicehealth.nsw.gov.au